Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Poplar owls

Here's a group of owls made from a piece of Tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera). The board came from a 19th century Kentucky barn and was completely gray and one side was covered with roofing tar. So I was surprised to see the strong green stripe running through the wood as I removed the tar. Poplar often has a bit of green in it, but I've never seen it this saturated.

I was making these for a sale this weekend, but I think they might have to stay in my collection for a while. I'll never get another piece of wood like that.


3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    These sculptures are beautiful. Do you still have some for sale? Thanks, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pieces measure about 12 to 15 inches tall. I make mini ones of 4 - 6" tall for $35.

      Delete
    2. Great, I would like to buy one, and hopefully you'll be able to ship it to me in London (funny enough, I was Tuscon this December as I have family there). Do you have an e-mail address that I can write to you to arrange the purchase? Many thanks,Andrea

      Delete